Chapter of York
The Governing Body of York Minster is the Chapter of York. Its members are:
Dean of York
The Rt Revd Dr Jonathan FrostResidentiary Canons:
- The Revd Canon Dr Christopher Collingwood (Chancellor)
- The Revd Canon Michael Smith (Pastor)
- The Revd Canon Margaret McLean (Missioner. Installed on 17 November 2019)
- The Revd Canon Dr Victoria Johnson (Precentor. Installed on 11 January 2020)
- Canon Dr Andrew Green
- Canon Dr Richard Shephard
- Canon John Hattam
- Canon Sir William Worsley
You can learn more about their roles here.
The Dean and the Residentiary Canons are required to live close to the Minster, and take their turn being ‘in residence’. They are present at Morning and Evening Prayer for the week. The Canon in Residence is on hand to meet pastoral needs, and may be required to chair committees or deputise for the Dean. There is no such residence requirement for Lay Canons.
The Archbishop of York
York Minster is the seat of The Archbishop of York, The Most Revd & Rt Hon Dr John Sentamu, and mother church of the Diocese of York. The appointment of Residentiary and Lay Canons is within his gift on the advice of the Chapter of York.