Diocesan Secretary/Chief Executive Diocese of Bristol
Share this role
- Church of England
- Closing date:
- 13th August
- Job Ref:
The Diocese of Bristol is the Church of England for over one million people living across Bristol, South Gloucestershire, north Wiltshire and Swindon. It covers a diverse and contrasting range of contexts and brings together over 200 churches, 70 church schools, a range of chaplaincies and networks of faith seeking to be a church for and serving all people in all places. Around 18,000 people worship regularly in our churches and 18,000 children and young people are educated in a church school. As a diocese, we have been on the leading edge of some of the issues the Church of England has faced up to in recent decades – the first diocese to ordain women as priests and to declare a climate emergency, we have been willing to learn from outside the Church and sought robustly to address our failings in relation to safeguarding and racial justice. This is an exciting time for the Diocese as we discern our vision and strategy to take us through the 2020s and beyond.
For this unique role, we are looking for an extraordinary person who, as a key member of the Bishop’s senior staff team, will bring a track record of successful strategic and operational leadership gained in a complex and diverse environment in the public or private sector. Our new Chief Executive will support, nurture and develop a collaborative team of professionals, bringing the ability to turn vision into strategy and implementation, maintain financial stability and manage all diocesan resources. You will co-operate and work together with our many and varied partners across and beyond the diocese, to ensure that each Christian community is empowered and engaged in the delivery of our ministry.
For this role, we are seeking a practising Christian of any denomination who is sympathetic to the vision and values of the Church of England*. You will be an excellent relationship builder able to work with flexibility and humility in a values driven culture which you will embody. You will be adept at releasing and leading through others, with strong financial acumen and the ability to see the big picture whilst commanding the detail, and demonstrate a clear commitment to our mission.
For a confidential discussion about the role, please contact Katrina Paget or Matt Malone on 07471 037 070.
*Schedule 9, paragraph 1 of the Equality Act 2010 applies to this post
How to apply
To apply please submit:
- an up to date copy of your CV
- a Supporting Statement of no more than 3 pages, which addresses the criteria set out in the Genuine Occupational Requirement, Experience and Leadership sections of the Person Specification, using detailed examples to demonstrate how you meet the requirements
- Daytime, evening and/or mobile telephone numbers as well as your personal email address (to be used with discretion)
- Contact details for two referees. Referees should be people who can comment authoritatively on you as a person and as an employee and must include your current or most recent employer or his/her authorised representative. Confidential references are taken up on candidates shortlisted for formal interviews. However, we will refer back to you for confirmation that referees may be approached before any contact is made with them.
- A completed diversity monitoring form, the questionnaire is part of the online application process.