Diocese of Guildford, Diocesan Secretary
Share this role
- Church of England
- Competitive salary for the charity sector
- Closing date:
- 6th July
- Job Ref:
The Diocese of Guildford is the Church of England in the western two-thirds of Surrey and a significant area of north-east Hampshire. It also includes one parish in a London borough and one in rural West Sussex. It covers a diverse array of communities and church traditions as people gather to worship God across an area of increasing diversity and a real mixture of contexts and demographics. These are exciting times in our life as a diocese, as we reimagine the ministry of our churches and church schools following the challenges of the pandemic and the wider challenges which that highlighted. Our vision of a Transforming Church, Transforming Lives continues to draws together all that we are seeking to do and has recently been sharpened to reflect these changing circumstances.
The role of the Diocesan Secretary plays a critical part in the life of our mission and ministry. You will act as a key partner to the Bishop in developing and implementing the ambitions of the Transforming Church, Transforming Lives vision, ensuring all resources and staff are aligned to delivering these goals. You will lead the staff team, building a collaborative and high-performing culture that delivers effectively whilst providing opportunities for staff to develop and fulfil their potential. You will co-operate and work together with our many and varied partners across and beyond the Diocese, supporting the Bishop in ensuring that each Christian community is empowered and engaged in the delivery of our ministry and vision.
For this unique role, we are looking for a person of special talent who will bring a track record of successful strategic and operational leadership gained in a complex and diverse environment in the private or public sector. You will have a proven ability to support, nurture and develop a collaborative team of professionals, building effective relationships at all levels both within and out with your direct sphere of control. You will be a capable financial and budgetary leader, comfortable delivering results within an environment with complex governance. You are a practising Christian of any denomination* able to demonstrate a clear commitment to the mission of the Church of England and, more specifically, the Diocese of Guildford.
For a confidential discussion about the role, please contact Katrina Paget or Matt Malone on 07471 037 070 or email@example.com.
*Schedule 9, paragraph 1 of the Equality Act 2010 applies to this post
How to apply
To apply for this role please include:
- an up-to-date copy of your CV
- Supporting Statement that addresses the criteria set out in all four sections of the person specification, using examples to demonstrate how you meet the requirements
- You should also provide the names, positions, organisations and contact details for two referees, one of whom should be your current or most recent employer. If you do not wish us to approach your referees without your prior permission, please state this clearly.
- As part of the online application process, you will be asked to complete an equal opportunities monitoring page, this will appear on screen. The information on this page will be treated as confidential and used for statistical purposes only. This information will not be treated as part of your application.