Organisation and Governance
There are 20 members of the Board which acts as trustee to the pension schemes and charities.
The Board is assisted by an executive that administers the pension schemes, the provision of housing for retired clergy and other charitable activities.
The Chairman is appointed by the Archbishops of Canterbury and York with the approval of Synod.
The other members of the Board are either elected by members of the pension schemes or elected or appointed by employers that participate in the pension schemes or other interested persons or bodies.
Elected by members:
- 1 bishop (by the House of Bishops of General Synod)
- 4 clergy (by the House of Clergy of General Synod)
- 2 members of CWPF
- 1 member of CAPF
Elected by employers
- 2 (elected by employers in the Church Workers Pension Fund and the Church Administrators Pension Fund)
Appointed or elected by other interested bodies or persons
- 2 (elected by the House of Laity of General Synod)
- 1 (appointed by Archbishops after consultation with dioceses)
- 1 (appointed by Archbishops)
- 1 (appointed by the Church Commissioners)
- 2 (appointed by the Archbishops after consultation with the Chair of the Church of England Appointments Committee and the Chair of the House of Laity of the General Synod)
Pension Board Membership
The Pensions Board itself acts as a trustee to the pension schemes and charities, and typically meets five times a year.
There are 20 members, with the Chairman appointed by the Archbishops of Canterbury and York with the approval of Synod. The remaining members of the Board are either elected or appointed by the members and employers of the pension schemes, and other interested bodies.
Current board members (at 31 October 2017)
Appointed by the Archbishops of Canterbury and York – with the approval of General Synod
Chair - Dr Jonathan Spencer CB
Appointed by the Archbishops of Canterbury and York
Appointed by the Archbishops of Canterbury and York – after consultation with the dioceses
Canon David Froude ACIB
Appointed by the Church Commissioners
Jeremy Clack FIA
Elected by the CWPF and CAPF Employers
Vice Chair - Canon Sandra Newton
Elected by the House of Bishops, General Synod
The Rt Revd Alan Wilson, Bishop of Buckingham
Elected by the House of Clergy, General Synod
The Revd Fr Paul Benfield
The Revd Nigel Bourne
The Revd Peter Ould
The Revd Canon David Stanton
Elected by the House of Laity, General Synod
Canon Nicolete Fisher
Alan Fletcher FCII
Brian Wilson FIA
Elected by the members of the CWPF
Elected by the members of the CAPF